Currently, there are 354 sculptures in the plastic art collection, 125 of which come from the former Baťa collection and were purchased mainly from the Zlín Salons. Between 1936 and 1948, that is during the eleven Zlín Salons, sculptures by artists such as Luděk Havelka, Karel Kotrba, Vincenc Makovský, Ladislav Novák, Josef Wagner, Jan Štursa and others were acquired. The oldest exhibit in the collection is the fourth version of Music by J. V. Myslbek dating from circa 1895.
Between 1953 and 1963, 72 sculptures were purchased. The themes covered in these sculptures include the celebration of work (Zdeněk Kovář), folklore motifs (František Úprka) and portraits (Jiří Honzálek, Václav Kovanič). These were thematic areas tolerated and supported by the theory of socialist realism. The collection of three-dimensional works was regularly expanded in subsequent decades as well.
The Gallery’s acquisition activities have always been closely connected to its exhibition programme. The collection contains not only works by deceased Czech and Slovak artists, but also works by contemporary authors, including the older generation active in the 1960s, middle-aged authors, and the youngest artists. The Gallery also follows the work of artists from the Zlín region (Radim Hanke, Marius Kotrba, Jaroslav Koléšek). The newest acquisition in the Gallery’s sculpture collection is Hlavo Lam by Pavla Sceranková in 2010.
See the most interesting pictures from our collections in the gallery of images on the Czech version of this page.